4.12.09

Just floating like peppermint candies without the red stripe.....

I know that this has made the rounds on the blogs for the past few weeks but I couldn't help but include myself on the list. These amazing icebergs in the Antarctic were photographed by Norwegian sailor Oyvind Tangen. These striped lines are formed by the little tiny bubbles in the ice that are squeezed out when the ice melts and refreezes. The huge dark lines are when the ice rapidly melts and again rapidly refreezes so no bubbles reform The lines appear blue and as you can tell offer a significant contrast to the white bubbled ice that still exists.
Images via

1 comment:

  1. They may have made the rounds, but I missed them! How neat, I'm glad you posted. Wish I could go there and photograph wonders like these...sigh. xoxo katie

    ReplyDelete